velvetwoods

Art loves Photography

Thursday, July 9, 2009


Nani Nani Lullaby by Yasmin Levy

Sephardic music was born in medieval Spain, These Songs were sung traditionally by women while performing household tasks with no music. Such a beautiful lullaby.

Nani, nani, nani,
Nani nani wants my son
Son of his mother
the boy is getting big

Ay,
Sleep my little soul
sleep my life
Your father is coming
with great joy.

Open the door
open the door my lady!
I am coming very tired
from working the land.

6 comments:

  1. So hauntingly beautiful is this song. Thanks for the introduction to this music. Is it related in some way to Portuguese fado? I sense a similarity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haunting is a perfect description.. it echos are deep and beautiful.

    ~Silver

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your welcome my partner discovered her for me.
    Jasmin Levy's style is Ladino/Judeo-Spanish entwined with the more contemporary sounds of Andalusian Flamenco and Turkey.It does have the same flavour as Portuguese fado but I don't know if they are related.
    It is very evocative and soothing,good before bed and while having a bath with lots candles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there,

    I also find this music very beautiful!Sephardic music. Thanks to you, I had an introduction to this music now.

    There are some great music genres that have their origins in Spain, I think. I love traditional Spanish guitar, for instance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fell in love with Flamenco music a few years ago when I went to Spain.I love the great passion and self-expression it conveys.Its so explosive yet self contained.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for making me smile tonight.